Thursday, February 24, 2011

Apple Muffins


I felt like I needed a slightly sweet treat this afternoon, and the kids are always happy to have a new snack after school. I had plenty of apples to use, so I made an apple muffin recipe I've tried from allrecipes.com a few times.



I like it because it's not too sweet, uses apple juice instead of just sugar, and takes less than an hour from start to finish. I added a few healthy twists by using 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat flour and using only egg white to cut down on cholesterol.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup apples, peeled and finely chopped

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pan or line with paper cups.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. In a separate bowl mix apple juice, egg, and oil. Add dry ingredients until moistened. Stir in apples.

Evenly distribute batter among 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

12 muffins
Each muffin = 28 carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment