Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Day in the Life

Today was a great day! Leah's jump event at school was fun, we went back and had lunch with her, then met Ed out for dinner before he had bowling night.

But for Leah, and any person with Type 1, it's a day full of extras.

The kids slept in, so I woke them at the last possible minute to get ready for school. I was up twice in the night correcting for high blood sugar, and when Leah woke up she was still hovering around 200. It is site change day anyway, so I did it this morning instead of waiting until after school. Insulin leaked out all over her bed while I was changing her reservoir (I HATE the smell of that stuff) and she got to start her day with a jab to the stomach. Not really much fun, but that's life and she's used to it.

Went to school to volunteer during Jump Rope for Heart. They had a snack of fruit snacks and juice, both of which will raise blood sugar quite rapidly. Her CGM still read over 300, so I needed to prick her finger to give an accurate correction dose. She didn't want to leave her class, so we did her finger prick in the room. That of course leads to a few kids making weird comments about blood. But if it doesn't bother her, I see no need to hide what we're doing. I corrected and gave her insulin for the snack and they went back to the gym.

Went back to school to meet Leah for lunch. Her CGM read 135 with a down arrow, and her finger prick revealed a true number of 101. Not bad after a morning of extra activity and food, so she ate right away and I waited until we were out at recess before I gave her insulin for lunch. (If I hadn't been there, she would have been back and forth to the office at least two times). Of course, we have to keep looking at her pump to do this and she has to stop what she's doing when it's finally time to give insulin.

School calls because they are having a birthday treat. It is described as a "blueberry muffin/cinnamon roll thing with icing drizzled on top." There's no way to accurately dose for that, so I tell them to give her 35 carbs, and as a result she's low less than an hour later...and needed glucose tabs to bring her back up.

We meet Ed for dinner at Dos Reales, our favorite Mexican place. Diabetes does not like Mexican food--the high carbs combined with high fat delay the body's absorption of the food and result in REALLY high blood sugars for a LONG time. Usually 6 hours or so for us. But last weekend we ate there and successfully used the dual wave setting, which is a way to program the pump to deliver a certain amount of insulin over a certain number of hours. Last weekend it worked, and she stayed in range for 6 hours. So feeling confident, we tried again with the same exact food and same exact insulin amount (it's all trial and error). Tonight, in less than an hour, she's skyrocketed to 250 and will probably stay there (or higher) the rest of the night. Which means extra finger pricks. And there's no rhyme or reason as to why it works one day and not the next. That's this disease.

So, all in all a good day. But sometimes when I think of all the "extras" she has to go through it just kind of stinks. I'm not complaining that our life is bad...we are extremely fortunate for our kids overall good health and happiness.

But it's a constant, relentless disease and I wish she could just have one day off.


  1. No rest for the weary. The blueberry muffin thing sounds terrifying. Way to battle through the many obstacles and still have a great day.

  2. The way you guys handle this is amazing! And while the rest of us go about our day eating whenever and whatever we want, I have to stop and ask myself is this food really worth it?