Thursday, April 14, 2011

Running Therapy :)

The Illinois marathon/half marathon is in about two weeks. I've been training for the half again, and had a great run today with the sun shining. Running is kinda silly--making yourself run long distances for really no other reason than proving it to yourself is kinda crazy.

But there's obviously health benefits, both mental and physical, and I don't think I'd have gotten through the stress of the last two years of our lives without running. It makes the world seem a little more bearable, makes diabetes feel manageable, and overall clears my head enough to make it feel like it will all be okay.

It's something I share with close friends, and gives us time to reconnect. I'm thankful for that today.

And through the rest of this year, there's a group of us that will be tackling a marathon, in honor of those close to us who have been dealt some pretty bad stuff over the last year or so. It feels good to honor the struggles that others face by getting out there and making our bodies hurt a little bit. :) I think about about them all the time while I'm out there, and we're fortunate to be able to do this. It's for Leah, and Mike O's dad, and Katie's dad, and my mom and Ed's mom, and Mike F's mom, and little Alice and anyone else who's faced cancer, and diabetes, and things that just disrupt our lives unexpectedly.

My friends and family motivate me with their determination and friendship. I'm excited about trying to beat my time in a few weeks and mostly to share that great feeling with a lot of people who have helped me so much in my life. I hope I'm always returning the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment