Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sending in the Numbers

Technology is wonderful. We have the ability to download Leah's pump and glucose meter and see exactly what her blood sugar was doing at any space in time. It really helps us catch trends, see how high certain foods make her go, watch what happens from increased activity, etc. And our healthcare provider can see the same things as us. Wonderful.

But lately, among the other D-moms I know, we all kind of chuckle when we say we "sent our numbers" into the doctor. Because LIVING with diabetes and just looking at it on paper are two very different things. I'm not in any way saying I have all the answers, and I totally appreciate a fresh set of eyes looking at things when we need help figuring stuff out. But when I emailed them yesterday to take a look I pretty much knew the response I'd get.

All they see is the numbers. I don't really have time to write a book about what happened in every situation every single day that made her blood sugars wacky. So I asked for help just about a specific trend I keep seeing--the afternoon high she was having when she'd get home from school. I was having trouble preventing her from going over 250 or more almost every afternoon, even with changes to her basal amount for that time frame (the insulin that runs continuously in small doses) or changing her lunchtime bolus (the amount of insulin per carb that she's given).

They answered with a snarky response about what to do overnight because we'd given a correction "after 12am for the last 5 nights." Well, believe me, I'd rather not have to roll out of bed every night to give my child insulin. But the last five nights consisted of:

1. Mexican food (ALWAYS requires a correction)
2. Correcting a low before bed (couldn't leave her at 60 for bedtime!)
3. French fries (ALWAYS requires a correction)
4. Correcting another low before bed
5. Can't remember day 5 because I'm too tired

So basically, LIFE gets in the way of diabetes. Unless we stay home, and never go out to eat or do fun stuff, we're going to have lots of nights of corrections, and lows, and other crazy stuff. That's why I just asked for help with the afternoon high. It's just too hard to explain every situation. And it doesn't mean things aren't working--it means when things are out of the "norm" it's very hard to stay in range.

They gave a suggestion for the afternoon, something I had already tried. But now she hasn't had the high for two days. Go figure. That pretty much sums up diabetes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment