Monday, May 23, 2011

Bleary-eyed Monday

"People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one".  ~Leo J. Burke


Or, I might add, a child with diabetes.


I've decided to train for this silly marathon this year, and it's already pretty hot out, so getting up early is my best option for running. The nights that diabetes keeps me up could make it really hard to get up for that. After correcting high blood sugar at 12am and 3am, I totally shut off my alarm at 5:30am and didn't care. Luckily, my supportive husband (who took the night shift the night before) stuck around before catching his flight to head out of town this week, so I could get my run in a little later while he took Leah to school.

I need to just suck it up and remember I'll always feel better getting up and getting it over with, regardless of how tired I might be. Those sleepless nights aren't going away anytime soon, so you would think my body would be used to it by now! (But of course it's not like I go right back to sleep. I wandered downstairs for something and realized the back door was left unlocked and then was awake for a good half hour convincing myself that someone was probably hiding in the basement).

It doesn't help not having a sensor in--our routine of letting the CGM alarm wake us up has been disrupted since it crapped out last week. So now if I check at 2am and correct high blood sugar I feel like I need to recheck in a few hours to make sure she hasn't dropped too much (our nights are not very consistent lately). I called this morning and the new transmitter should be shipped overnight today, so hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we'll be up and running again! (And the copay wasn't as awful as I had expected). But, with Ed out of town that means I have to insert her new sensor....oh, how I dread that.

And you know what I hate? When you're pricking a finger at 2am and can't really function too well and the stupid test strip doesn't get full of blood. So I have to stumble to the bathroom and get a new strip and her poor little finger has to get an extra poke. Even though she's sleeping and doesn't know it's happening, it's those tiny little things that really set me off about diabetes sometimes.

But, the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day. Hoping for a stress free Monday with minimal calls from school and some good quality time with Lukas. And more sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment