Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Funny, she doesn't look like she has diabetes!

So it seems whenever I see friends that I haven't seen in awhile there's always the inevitable questions...

"How's Leah feeling?"
"Have things leveled out yet?" 

So of course I try the brief explanations of how diabetes is ever-changing, there's so many variables that affect blood sugar, blah, blah, blah..... which is usually followed up with questions like...

"Oh, it will always be that way?" (or "she'll never grow out of it?")
"It will get better when she's older, right?" 

I know these questions are out of concern and it's nice of people to show that concern. I know that I used   to know nothing about this either, and I just try to simply answer the questions and move on.


It reminded me of this great post I read a few weeks ago from diabetesmine.com and it wraps up all these questions and misconceptions perfectly, so thought I'd share it:

It’s Contextual, Stupid


It's Type 1 diabetes. The body will NEVER make insulin. It's ever-changing. The highs and lows are in relationship to everything else that's going on inside your day. There is no GOOD and BAD--it's diabetes and we can only try to INFLUENCE it as much as possible!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

    I've also gotten, "It's better now that she's on the pump, right?" Well, it's easier to manage, yes, but her diabetes isn't "better". And along the same lines as the post you linked to, at the eye doc the other day they asked my kid, "what's the range of your BGs?" I was like, "well, it's diabetes, so it's kind of all over the place..." And the doc's like, "yeah, I need numbers" and I was like, "well, for a range, it could be anywhere from 40 to 400". You know?? Then she decided she just wanted her latest A1C. Well, just ask for that then, right? YEESH.

    ReplyDelete