Monday, August 29, 2011

Baked Oatmeal




My kids love oatmeal and it's a good breakfast for school days. A friend shared a baked oatmeal recipe with me this summer, and I made a few changes to cut down on sugar.  I had some extra time this morning to make it and I think it turned out great. A good breakfast to start off another week of school!









Baked Oatmeal

4 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter or butter substitute
1/4 cup agave nectar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Add butter, milk, agave and egg/egg whites and combine. Pour into a 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake until set, about 20 minutes (just check after 15 or so, you don't want to dry it out).

Cut into 8 squares (big pieces, but my kids are big breakfast eaters) and each piece is 30 carbs. 

*We like to put some extra milk and a little honey or agave on top of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment