These muffins were our breakfast this morning, and are super delicious (if you like bran muffins!). A nice, quick breakfast to grab and go on busy mornings, and a good dose of whole grain to start the day! They're from Heidi Swanson's new cookbook...her blog and cookbooks are one of my favorite places to grab recipes from.
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup barely melted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup wheat bran or oat bran
1 1/2 cups plain bran cereal
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine butter, eggs, milk, and syrup. Stir in the bran and bran flakes and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Dispense better evenly between 12 muffin cups.
5. Bake for 18-22 minutes (ours only took 18).
18 carbs each
I think I'll experiment by trying to swap coconut oil for some of the butter, and maybe add some unsweetened coconut flakes next time. They were a hit with my kids!