This has been our go-to winter soup this year! It cooks up in under an hour, and seems to make the whole family happy. Perfect with salad and garlic bread!
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage (or cheat and use cole slaw mix in a bag!)
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup cooked cannelini beans
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat and add carrots, onions, and celery. Saute for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften.
2. Add cabbage/cole slaw mix and cook another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add tomatoes and broth and turn heat to medium high. Bring to a slight boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, until veggies are soft.
4. Add beans and zucchini and cook only about 10 more minutes--doesn't take long to cook the zucchini.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can always add more dried basil or fresh garlic if the seasoned tomatoes don't add enough flavor for you.
Very low carb--I usually just glance at the beans in her bowl and estimate the carbs in the amount she's eating.