Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Injuries Suck

I've been trying not to complain. Really. I swear. But it is 80 freaking degrees in Illinois in mid-March. And I can't run.

These babies are collecting dust the last few weeks.


Surprisingly, when you feel pain in your body for a good 3-4 months (in this case, my knee) it is actually a good idea to go to the doctor, instead of continuing to run roughly 20 miles per week because you're paranoid that if you don't your life will change dramatically and you'll never be able to finish another marathon. Who knew?

But really, I've been trying to NOT let it get me down. Every time a negative thought pops in my head like "Oh I feel so sorry for myself, I hate that I have an injury, wah, wah, wah...." I really do try to just swoop it away with something positive like "Thank goodness I can walk!" or "I'm so glad I don't need surgery!" But there are days that just gets really old.

And there are times that I just can't ignore the constant reminders around me of how good it would feel to be outside with the breeze in my face. Like hearing Lady Gaga or the Glee soundtrack on the radio (yes, I have an incredibly dorky playlist, and no, they don't really play the Glee soundtrack on the radio). Or seeing one of the thousand runners I saw outside on this incredibly gorgeous day.

Sigh. Instead I will do my silly stretches the physical therapist gives me, and ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes every day hoping I "graduate" to a new exercise that will send me one step closer to running again. And I'll try not to think about the gazillion calories I'm used to burning and how during the next 6 weeks or so I'll likely go slightly crazy and also gain 10 pounds.

Obviously, in the scheme of life this is small potatoes. But it's my routine, my stress relief, my way of life for the last few years. Everything just seems better when you can do what you love.

So embrace the moment, do what you like to do, and don't take it for granted. Today is a gift and you should make the most of it.

One of my favorite gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment